Freedmen’s Town Museums Houston 
a part of Rutherford B.H. Yates Museum, Inc.
Archaeology, Education and Preservation

Rutherford B. H. Yates House Museum - 1314 Andrews Street



This graceful, single-story Queen Anne-style wood-frame house with a wraparound porch was built in 1912, for Rutherford Birchard Hayes Yates, Sr. (1878-1944).  Rutherford was the son of Reverend John Henry (“Jack”) Yates, the first official pastor of the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, organized in 1866 for emancipated Blacks.  The elder Yates built his home, the oldest datable building in Freedmen’s Town, next door at 1318 Andrews. It was in that house (since moved to Sam Houston Park) where young Rutherford grew up. The family valued education and the written word, as well as public service.

Rutherford graduated from Bishop College in Marshall, Texas in 1906 with a degree in printing.  He taught school for a time in Vinton, Louisiana and in Palestine, Texas, before returning to Houston in 1908 with his wife and infant daughter. He taught at Houston Academy (founded by his father), where he had attended school as a young boy, and worked at several printing companies.  In 1922, Rutherford and his brother Paul founded the Yates Printing Company which operated until 1978. After the death of Rutherford and his wife, two sets of occupants resided in the home until 1987. The home was eventually abandoned and neglected for many years. It fell into disrepair and was slated for demolition in 1995. Olee Yates McCullough, Rutherford’s daughter, prevailed on us to acquire and preserve it. The home underwent a thorough restoration in 1996, and the name of its original owner was adopted as the name of the museum. The home, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is also a state Recorded Texas Historical Landmark and a City of Houston Protected Landmark.

Freedmen’s Town Museums Houston

Museum visits are by appointment only 713-739-0163 |

Follow us

Stay in the Know